Assignment: Addressing Patient Safety and Quality of Care Through Policy
Patient safety and quality of patient care are the focus of some of the largest changes within health care. IHI’s Triple Aim initiative, as well as the Joint Commission and QSEN, are aimed at improving both the safety and quality of health care. This Assignment gives you the opportunity to focus on your chosen policy issue for the Position Paper and to explore factors that adversely impact quality and safety.
For this Assignment, review the following:
- AWE Checklist (Level 4000)
- Walden paper template (no abstract required for AWE 4000)
- Resources on quality/safety
- Resources on health care outcomes
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the health care policy that you selected in Week 1. ( Needle exchange programs (some Federal funding available through CDC; approximately five states have legislation on NEPs) West Virginia (House Bill) HB 4344 Text is the policy i chose in week 1.
- Analyze your selected policy in relation to patient quality of care and safety.
- Relate your policy to IHI Triple Aim initiatives (http://www.ihi.org/Engage/Initiatives/TripleAim/Pages/default.aspx).
- Examine the Assignment rubric for additional information and guidance.
Write a 2- to 3-page paper utilizing the health care policy you selected in Week 1 and 2.
Respond to the following prompts:
- In what ways does your policy address safety, quality, or improved outcomes of care for patients?
- Does your policy do an effective job of addressing the issue? Why or why not? Be specific and use examples.
- Explain the role of the nurse in addressing the quality and safety standards within your policy.
- Based on your assessment of the effectiveness of your policy on patient safety and quality of care, as well as your research from Weeks 1 and 2, what position do you plan to take in your Position Paper (which is due in Week 5)? Be specific on your viewpoint and reasoning.
- Support your position with scholarly references in addition to weekly resources.
Support your ideas or those of others with references from the professional nursing literature. Refer to the Week 3 Assignment Rubric prior to submission.