Develop a 2-4-page scholarly paper in which you describe a quality or safety issue, or a chosen diagnosis, and then identify and analyze credible evidence that could be used as the basis for applying EBP to the issue.
The goal of using evidence-based research findings is to enhance safety and quality of patient care and ensure optimal outcomes are achieved. It is not uncommon to hear a nurse say, “why change it as we’ve always done it this way.” However, this is no longer acceptable in today’s practice environment. The profession of nursing has evolved, and the expectation is that the professional nurse has a scientific foundation to support the care that is provided. As the profession of nursing continues to evolve and engage in health care transformation, baccalaureate-prepared nurses are expanding taking on leadership roles that include incorporating EBPs. To be able to do this, the nurse needs to understand the criteria and makes a resource credible, as this is crucial when deciding if the research is valid and reliable for implementation into health care settings.
It would be an excellent choice to complete the Vila Health Determining the Credibility of Evidence activity prior to developing the report. The activity is a media simulation that offers an opportunity to review a scenario and work on determining the credibility of presented evidence. These skills will be necessary to complete Assessment 2 successfully. This media simulation is one potential source of context on which to base your assessment submission. This will take just a few minutes of your time and is not graded.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 2: Analyze the relevance and potential effectiveness of evidence when making a decision.
- Explain criteria that should be considered when determining credibility of resources such as journal articles and websites.
- Analyze the credibility and relevance of evidence and resources within the context of a quality or safety issue, or a chosen diagnosis.
- Competency 3: Apply an evidence-based practice model to address a practice issue.
- Explain the importance of incorporating credible evidence into an EBP model used to address a quality or safety issue, or a chosen diagnosis.
- Competency 4: Plan care based on the best available evidence.
- Describe a quality or safety issue, or a chosen diagnosis, that could benefit from an evidence-based approach.
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication strategies to lead practice changes based on evidence.
- Communicate using writing that is clear, logical, and professional with correct grammar and spelling using current APA style.